Don't Be a Hunchback!
Stand up and look taller!
Poor posture can be caused by tight muscles in your chest and weak muscles in your back. Try these exercises 3-4 times a week to stand up straight and look taller.
Stretch your chest
- Stand in the middle of a doorway with one foot in front of the other
- Bend your elbows to a 90 degree angle and place your forearms on either side of the doorway
- Shift your weight to your front leg, leaning forward, until you feel a stretch in your chest muscles
- Hold for 15 seconds
- Relax and return to starting position
- Repeat 10 times
Strengthen your back
Exercise 1: Shoulder Blade Squeeze
- Stand or sit with your back straight
- Your chin should be tucked in slightly with your shoulders slightly back
- Slowly squeeze your shoulder blades together as hard and as far as possible provided the exercise is pain free
- Hold for 5 seconds
- Repeat 5 times
Exercise 2: Resistance Band Pull Backs
- Stand or kneel with your back straight holding a resistance band in each hand that is tied securely to something in front of you
- Slowly pull your arms backwards, squeezing your shoulder blades together
- Hold for 2 seconds and slowly return to starting position
- Perform 3 sets of 10 repetitions