Moroccan Chicken, Lentil & Barley Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 skinless bonesless chicken thighs
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2-3 carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup parsely, chopped
- 1/3 cup coriander, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp cumin seed
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1.5 cup dried red lentils
- 1 can plum tomatoes
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup pearl barley
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- In a large pot, heat half of the oil over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add to pot. Cook, turning occassionally until golden, about 8 minutes. Set aside on plate.
- Add remaining oil to pot. Add carrots, onion, parsley, and coriander. Cook over medium heat, stirring occassionally, until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, cumin, turmeric, paprika, and cinnamon. Cook about 1 minute. Return chicken and any juices to the pot.
- Add lentils, tomatoes, broth, and barley. using a potato masher, crush and break up tomatoes into bite-sized pieces. Bring to a boil, then cover and gently simmer until lentils and barley are very tender, about 40 minutes.
- Remove chicken and shred into pieces. Return to pot.
- Add lemon juice and season to taste.