The Power of Giving Back
Giving back can have a positive impact on both the giver, as well as the recipient.
Volunteering and giving back can be beneficial to your mental health and your overall wellbeing. The sense of belonging one feels when surrounded by individuals who share similar beliefs and interests, as well as the sense of purpose one feels when contributing to a meaningful cause can have significant positive impacts on mental health.
There are a variety of reasons you may choose to volunteer, whether it’s to contribute to the community, develop skills, gain experience, meet new people, help with social issues, or perhaps you have a personal connection to the organization’s cause.
Don’t discount what you can offer as a volunteer. There are so many opportunities available and everyone can find something that they can contribute to, whether it be through time, money, skills, connections, etc.
Need some help? Here is a list of ways you can give back:
- Volunteer your time and/or skills - Ex. sports team, food bank, shelter, big brother/sister, teach/tutor
- Give blood
- Fundraise or donate to a cause
- Organize or participate in a charitable event
- Donate food or used goods
- Sponsor a family or child
- Buy local and support your community
- Become a mentor
- Organize a community clean up
- Pay it forward - Small acts go a long way, try doing one random act of kindness a day!
Are you a Magna employee living in Ontario? Contact the Neighbourhood Network for volunteer opportunities!