All About Aromatherapy
Aromatherapy or "scent therapy" uses scents from essential oils to promote health and well-being. Different scents can help improve mood, promote relaxation, reduce stress, manage pain, improve sleep, relieve headaches and so much more. How it Works
Aromatherapy works through sense of smell and/or skin absorption. When the scent is inhaled, receptors in the nose become stimulated, which send messages to the part of the brain that controls emotions.
Scent Therapy is Easy:
Don't overestimate the strength of essential oils. They are extremely concentrated and should be used sparingly. One drop goes a long way! If you have sensitive skin or are unsure if aromatherapy is right for you, talk with your doctor to find out what oils you should use.
- Use a diffuser to transform your room into a spa. A good rule of thumb is to use 3 - 5 drops of oil per 100 mL of water.
- Fill a spray bottle with water and add 2 drops of oil per 100mL of water. Shake well and spritz it around the room.
- Add a drop or two of an essential oil into a bath to unwind.
- Use it topically in a cream or lotion or even enhance your shampoo. Make sure you only use a drop, mix well, and enjoy.
- Lavender: floral fragrance used for relaxation and stress reduction. Some report that it helps reduce headache pain.
- Chamomile: slightly herbal and apple-like scent. When inhaled, helps relax the mind and body. It may also help with sleep.
- Peppermint: a minty aroma that helps boost energy and reduce headaches.
- Eucalyptus: a minty-pine smell that can help reduce congestion and ease muscle pain.
- Lemon: a bold citrus smell that not only freshens the air, but also uplifts mood and increases energy.
- Rose: a sweet floral scent that may help reduce anxiety and stress levels. Some find that rose helps reduce pain.
- Reduce Anger: Ylang ylang, jasmine, sweet orange
- Improve Memory: rosemary, bay laurel, bergamot
- Wake up: Cardamom, cinnamon, sage, spearmint
- Stress Relief: Vanilla, violet, frankincense
Try creating your very own scent combination. Mix a few drops of different oils together to make an aroma that will match your needs perfectly while creating an aroma that you love. The following combinations are measured for a 100 mL diffuser.
- Brainiac: 1 drop Rosemary, 2 drops peppermint, 2 drops cinnamon
- Relax and Unwind: 2 drops lavender, 1 drop chamomile, 1 drop rose
- Power Up: 1 drop lemon, 2 drops peppermint