BBQ Worthy Veggie Burgers
These hearty, plant-based burgers are easy to make and grill perfectly on the BBQ!
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- ¾ cup finely chopped white onion
- Spice mix: 1 tbsp each – chili powder, cumin, paprika
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 ½ cups canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp BBQ sauce
- If brown rice is not cooked, follow directions on package. Let cool.
- Heat a non-stick pan on medium heat and add raw walnuts. Toast for 5 minutes, stirring frequently until golden brown. Transfer into a bowl and let cool.
- Using the same non-stick pan over medium/high heat, add oil and onions. Sauté for 3-4 minutes or until onion is soft. Remove from heat.
- Add toasted walnuts, spice mix, salt, pepper and coconut sugar to high-speed blender or food processor. Blend until fine.
- In a large mixing bowl, add drained and rinsed black beans and mash well using a fork or potato masher.
- Add cooked brown rice, spice-walnut mix, onion, bread crumbs and BBQ sauce to the mashed beans and mix well.
- Divide mixture into 6 patties.
- Heat the BBQ. Cook patties over medium/high heat for 3-4 minutes per side.
- Remove burgers from heat and prepare toppings of your choice. We recommend lettuce, tomato, avocado, red onion and pickles!
- Serve burgers on a whole wheat bun.
Tips: To freeze these burgers, follow steps 1-7. Place in a sealed contained and freeze up to 4 weeks.