This chili is full of spices and flavour… no one will believe it is vegetarian! Packed full of vegetables and fiber, this recipe is easy, delicious and nutritious!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 large can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar or lime juice
- Top with: sliced avocado and chopped cilantro
- Warm olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped onions, bell pepper, carrot, celery and salt. Cook for 7-10 minutes or until onion is softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, red pepper flakes (if using). Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add diced tomatoes with juices, tomato paste, drained kidney, black and pinto beans, and vegetable broth (or water). Stir and let mixture come to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Scoop 1 ½ cups of the chili mixture into a blender. Blend until smooth. Pour blended mixture back into chili and stir to combine.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Divide mixture into individual bowls and top with sliced avocado and chopped cilantro.
Tip: Store in air tight container for up to 4 days or freeze it and enjoy later!
Recipe modified from: https://cookieandkate.com/vegetarian-chili-recipe/